It’s that time of the year again… Are you sick and tired of seeing Valentine’s Day promotions and hearts all around you, while friends who are in relationships talk about the romantic weekend escapade they’re planning?
Yikes, we get it — some of us just want to have a drink at that club where Anti-Valentine’s Day is celebrated.
Singles Awareness Day, also know as S.A.D. (what an unlucky coincidence), is celebrated around the world from February 13 to 15 as an occasion to:
- Laugh at those in love and celebrate the greatness of loneliness
- Have a holiday with your close friends and no significant other
- Honor physical love (sex), and prove it will always be there, with or without emotional love
- Have your yearly chocolate fix, stealing some from your friends’ keepsakes
- Celebrate love between family and friends
Despite the name, there is no reason to be sad if you’re single on Valentine’s Day. Just focus on positive things such as not having to share your favorite food, spending on flowers that will wither anyway, and pretending you care about a Hallmark holiday that you really, truly, honestly don’t give an eff about.
Here’s LE Anti-Valentine’s Day list of ideas to avoid bumping into those annoying kissy-kissy couples. (Unless you meet someone on that very same day, and become one of those too!) 😀
1. Head to InBlu bar for the “Single Mingle Party” from 7 p.m. till late. Free entry with a live band and DJ tunes throughout the night. More info here.
2. Havana Social Club will be celebrating El Cupido Stupido (“stupid Cupid”) anti-Valentine’s party on February 14. DJ Dave Davani and percussion will be performing 10 p.m. – 2 a.m.! More info here.
3. If you enjoy Alternative Rock, join Incubus concert at BCC Hall on February 15, at 7 p.m. Get your ticket here (THB 1,500).
4. Laugh your way through the night with some live stand-up comedy featuring local and international comedians. Head to The Comedy Club Bangkok on February 16, at 8:30 p.m. Get your ticket here (starting at THB 250++).
6. Make it a girls day out for of shopping, food, and cocktails, or organize some male bonding activities such as a day full of gaming, food, and beers.
7. Host your own singles party. Some ideas for your playlist:
Bye bye bye – *NSYNC
Love yourself – Hailee Steinfeld
Single ladies – Beyonce
Cry me a river – Justin Timberlake
Sexy and I know it – LMFAO
Get ur freak on – Missy Elliot
Since you been gone – Kelly Clarkson
We are the champions – Queen
Ex-girlfriend – No Doubt
I will survive – Gloria Gaynor
You give love a bad name – Bon Jovi
Smile – Lily Allen
Love yourself – Justin Bieber
She’s out of my life – Michael Jackson
8. Catch up on your cinema knowledge with that movie marathon you’ve been longing to have. Some ideas:
(500) days of summer (2009)
Blue Valentine (2010)
The break-up (2006)
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind (2004)
Fatal Attraction (1987)
American Beauty (1999)
How to be single (2016)
9. Improve your bowling ball release without the peer pressure, so that you can beat your friends the next time. Practice solo at blu-O Rhythm & Bowl.
10. St. Valentine’s means something really different depending if you’re single, in a relationship, playing the field, or married with kids. Aristotle’s Cafe will be hosting a community discussion on love, sex, and relationships, and the first 15 spots enter for free. Grab yours here!