The ASEAN Tourism Forum (ATF) 2018, hosted by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) in Chiang Mai on January 22–26, presented a gala ceremony highlighting Thai gastronomy and the rich culinary history of Chiang Mai and Northern Thailand.
The creations of 10 top Thai chefs from 10 outstanding restaurants were presented to attending delegates as the highlight of the opening event. These includes:
- Orange ginger glazed duck breast by Chef May Thongthongfrom Monkey’s Kitchen
- Slow poached red claw crayfish by Chef Chokamnuay Chanajaturathardfrom Siripanna Villa Resort and Spa
- Grilled banana leaf wrapped lamb shoulder by Chef Nan Mankongtiphanfrom Cuisine de Garden
- Grilled Northern-style curried rack of lamb by Chef Sarayuth Kaewyonefrom RatiLanna Riverside Spa Resort
- Royal Project winter fruit with feta and mozzarella by Chef Daeng Kaewwanneefrom the Northern Chef’s Club
- Pan-grilled salmon with Northern chili dip by Chef Nat Phumpaijitrfrom Duangtawan Hotel
- Longan smoked salmon steak by Chef Pisit Jinopongfrom Dhara Dhevi
- Smoked Australian Wagyu beef striploin by Chef Chalong Sakkapalangkulfrom Dusit D2 Chiang Mai
- Lap crayfish ravioli by Chef Paolo Pelosifrom Shangri-La Hotel
- Pan-seared beef tenderloin by Chef Phubase Chuprakongfrom Akyra Manor
At the ATF 2018 TAT set up a dedicated area called “Thailand Prestige” highlighting Thai local experiences in line with its marketing focus on Thai gastronomy tourism.
The event came as Thailand continues to draw international accolades for culinary excellence. The recently released first edition of the Michelin Guide Bangkok features a total of 98 restaurants and highlights how the country’s capital city embraces international dining while remaining true to its own culinary heritage and authentic cuisine – which draws millions of visitors worldwide.
This year Bangkok will also host the 4th UNWTO World Forum on Gastronomy Tourism from May 30 to June 1. This will be specifically focused on harnessing the power of technology as a driver for sustainable growth. It intends to provide an opportunity for leading experts in gastronomy tourism to discuss currents trends and challenges in the sector, exchange best practices and inspire discussion on intercultural dialogue, gastro diplomacy, and the importance of technology for sustainable gastronomy tourism.
More info about ATF: www.atfthailand2018.com
More info about the 4th UNWTO World Forum on Gastronomy Tourism: http://affiliatemembers.unwto.org/event/4th-unwto-world-forum-gastronomy-tourism