Summer is right around the corner! This means increased family travel and fun with the kids. Here are 10 family travel tips:
1. Pack light – this might not sound easy when we are used to overflowing diaper bags, but with things like the Babee Covee, a new baby blanket and cover that is six uses in one, you can save a ton of space but have all what you need with a little one in tow. Not to mention the time you will save from packing or turning back to the house when you forgot something.
2. Always have wipes – use them for everything…from cleaning the usual suspects of diapers to hands and the unexpected mess on you, on them or in the car. I don’t leave home without them.
3. Bring snacks – for the fussy child or the adult, it’s always better to have a snack to stay on track. Hungry people get cranky; snacks will help avoid this.
4. Have a box of “tricks” – before going on any travel whether by car or plane, I always head to the $1 store to grab a whole bunch of stuff. So, when necessary, I can give the kids something new and exciting. When you arrive at your destination pack the tricks away so on the return home the toys will be exciting still!
5. Layer up – you can never predict the weather so it’s always good to have a few layers to take you from morning until night. It’s much easier to take off than to not have enough. Being cold is not fun for anyone.
6. Charge up – when all else fails, hand your child your phone. Be sure to have a backup battery or charger. There are a ton of smart phone apps that kids can play with too depending on their age.
7. Use GPS – especially when traveling far, it’s best to know where you are going than to guess. Kids can’t wait to arrive so avoid lengthening the trip by not getting lost.
8. Bring a friend – the more the merrier so if you can plan a trip with others, do so. Then, you can create lasting family memories together.
9. Be comfortable – you’re traveling not going on an interview!
10. Have fun! You are with your family, enjoy them! Life is too precious.